Tuesday, July 1, 2008

WFMW: Chocolate Ribbon Pie


I wish I'd taken this gorgeous photograph. But when I make this pie it doesn't sit around on a plate long enough to be all gussied up for photos.

I always promise people I will give them the recipe, and then I never do. I either secretly want to be the only Bestower of Pie, or else I'm just too lazy to write it down and send it. Probably both.

But tonight I'm feeling a little crazy, I'm up way too late because of packing for our trip, and I need a good recipe with 5 ingredients or less for today's "Works for Me Wednesday" blog festival. And oh HOW does this pie ever work for me. You have to make this pie. Today. (That includes you Sanya.)

Here's what you need:
4 oz cream cheese, softened (half a brick)
2 cups and 1 Tablespoon of milk
1 tub (8 oz) whipped topping, thawed
1 prepared chocolate flavor crumb pie crust (6 oz or 9 inches)
2 packages (4 serving size each (the small box)) instant chocolate pudding and pie filling

Beat cream cheese, 1 T of milk and 2 T of sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Gently stir in half of the whipped topping. Spread over crust.

Pour 2 cups of milk into a large bowl. Add pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Pour over cream cheese layer.

Lick the bowl. If you have children, fight them for the bowl licking rights. YUM.

Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Just before serving, spread or dollop remaining whipped topping over chocolate pudding layer. Garnish with shaved chocolate if you can resist eating it long enough to decorate it.

ENJOY.

(All right, I know some of you want to call "shenanigans" on me because you are much too clever to let me sneak those 2 T of sugar past you. Yes, there is a tiny little 6th ingredient. But really, what's a little bit of sugar between friends? I simply could not deny all of you this wonderful pie over a Mere Smidgeon of sugar. And frankly, one time I made it without the sugar for a diabetic friend and it was still great. So if you are going to be a stickler about 5 ingredients, consider the sugar OPTIONAL.)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

That pie looks delicious! I have not made a refrigerator pie in a long time, but you may have inspired me to do so. Maybe for the 4th!

I used to make one with a graham cracker crust. Blend cream cheese, whipped cream (or whipped topping), and some sugar together, then spread in the crust. Pour on some sort of fruit topping, like cherries. Delicious!

Lahdeedah said...

I'm going to try this.

When I gain four pounds because of it, I will spam you many fattening cookie recipes.