Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Wonderful Father

I don't want kids, he said, on one of the early dates.

Well, that's a deal breaker for me, I replied in a light tone of voice while my stomach turned to lead and sunk through the floorboards of the '86 Celebrity. I don't know if I want kids, but I do know I want the option.

He didn't answer for several days. He really thought about it. And he came back and said, well, I'm willing to consider the option with you, someday.

A few years later, after several rounds of discussion, I said, I love you forever and I won't end our marriage over this, because if I can't have your kid then I don't want kids at all. But I think if we end up not having a kid, I'll be unhappy for a very long time. I want our kid, with my brown eyes and your sweet smile, and my words and your art, and our music.

He didn't answer for several days. And he came back and said, well, let's see what happens.

A few months later, as he held our dog and comforted her during a storm, I said, you're going to be a wonderful father... in February.

It didn't take him a few days to react this time. It didn't take him until February to polish the parenting skills, either. He was always the things that make a wonderful father, protective and strong, wise and caring.

And our little boy has brown eyes and a sweet smile, one he only gives his daddy.

2 comments:

RainyPM said...

Very nicely said. I wonder if the boy will end up with his words and your art though. ;-P

Sanya said...

Snicker. We're covered, though, his dirty secret is that he can write, and I can do graphic design. Shh, don't tell, we want the kid to be able to be a rebel.