Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WFMW: Cradle Cap Solution

Here's my no-fail cradle cap removal method. First you have to buy a special shampoo at the store called T-Gel. This doesn't smell like baby shampoo, because it's NOT. The T stands for Tar. Pick up a fine tooth comb while you're there.

If you are intrigued rather than mortified at the idea of putting tar-in-shampoo-form on your baby's head, you're ready for the next step. Once you get home work some oil into the baby's scalp. Baby oil is of course the first choice, but I've used olive oil too. Massage it into the cradle cap and let it sit for a while. Better still if you do this in a steamy bathroom.

Strip down you and the baby and hop in the shower together (with the T-Gel and comb). When showering with the baby remember he is VERY slippery, especially once you start rinsing out the oil. When you change your grip on him make sure your other grip is already tight. It doesn't hurt to get dad in there too for an extra pair of hands. Tell him to MAINTAIN FOCUS.

I suppose my cradle cap removal plan could be done in a baby tub, but I think the shower steam is part of the magic. I also usually cradle the baby in my arms so his head is back and let the shower water do a really good rinse on his head, which is harder to do in a separate tub.

Now, put the T-Gel on his head, careful to keep it out of his eyes, and lather up. Next, use the comb to work under the layer of cradle cap. It should be flaking off really easily. Let the stubborn parts soak up some more tar while you work on easier parts. There should be gross little flakes all over. EW. Sometimes it's such a mess I have to rinse and re-apply the T-Gel.

This shouldn't hurt the baby, btw, just keep the shampoo out of his eyes. It's not runny and I've never had a problem with it. One cool thing with the water and T-Gel is it turns the cradle cap really white so you can see where it all is and go after it.

My little guy had a fully covered head of cradle cap and after one of my special treatments (it took 3 applications of T-Gel) I got rid of all of it and it didn't come back. Hope this helps!

11 comments:

Sanya said...

hahaha, genius.

MAINTAIN FOCUS.

Superchikk said...

Our pediatrician told us to just use regular Head & Shoulders or whatever kind of dandruff shampoo we had/wanted to get. Our guy had tons of cradle cap and while it didn't work on one application, it cleared it up pretty quickly.

We continued using it every other bath (about twice a week) until he grew out of his cradle cap. It worked great!

Unknown said...

I have a tween boy who has just now developed this - go figure! We use a dandruff shampoo/conditioner combo. It works ok, but might have to try this one. We also tried tea tree oil. Worked well, but my DS has Sensory issues and the smell was enough to induce quite a scene-LOL

Miche said...

Ohhh what a great tip! I am lucky JR and Little Dude both didn't have cradle cap, but my friend's newborn has it bad...they asked my advice but I had none since I had not dealt with it-I will have to pass this along to them! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

For mild cradle cap, I've found the "no shampoo" method pretty effective -- make a paste of baking soda and warm water, rub it into damp hair, rinse thoroughly with warm water. You can also follow up with a vinegar rinse -- as strong as 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water, or as weak as 1 part vinegar to 11 parts water, but be sure that baking soda is rinsed out first! You can reduce your actual shampoo use to once every week or two.

Anonymous said...

PS -- I only recommend the "strong" vinegar rinse on older kids, it's very strong and turns even my skin red sometimes. Stick with the weaker mix for kids under five. (Yes, older kids do get cradle cap, also known as seborrheic dermatitis.)

Also, when my daughter was an infant I used Mustela infant shampoo, the kind that came with a foaming pump, and I LOVED it for it's great rinseability.

Superchikk said...

Rainypm,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. Yes, three months ago I too thought crawling was a world away. But it's here and it's SO much fun!

Oh, and I haven't swept the kitchen floor all week - I just tossed that blanket into the wash!

Thanks for the sweet words about Chickster - we think he's cute too!

Kelsey S said...

That is great thanks so so much!!

kelsey
mysweetlife.org

pjz said...

If your kid has that much cradle cap, esp. if it showed up suddenly, check him for mild allergies - mine evinced a head full of cradle cap when we switched to a soy-based formula, and it went away when we switched to hypo-allergenic formula. They usually grow out of these allergies (or so I'm told) so it's not a big deal.

Stephanie said...

Great hint! We still have occasional bouts of cradle cap with my 5 year old. The fine tooth comb really helps to get it out.

Rodriguez said...

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great
stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?


Cradle Cap Care